What is Skip Tracing?
A skip trace is an investigative technique that traces (or finds) an individual, generally one who has skipped out on a legal or financial obligation, but it is not limited to those matters. These investigations are commonly used to track down defendants who have missed court appearances or skipped bail, locate individuals who need to be served with legal documents, or track down a person on behalf of a debtor.
Here are a few reasons you might need a people locate or skip trace
- You need to locate a debtor who has defaulted on payments.
- You need to find a current address for a family member who needs to be served with family court documents (i.e. child support, divorce).
- Your client is a defendant in a court case and has missed a hearing.
- You need to locate an individual to inform them about assets or an inheritance.
- In its simplest terms, a skip trace or people locate is an investigation with the primary objective of locating a person.